Why Being an Expat is The Best of Both Worlds
Even those who travel long-term, and are arguably, “living the dream”, aren’t free of complaints. They’ll be the first to tell you that while life on the road is amazing, on some days, you just get tired of travel.
That’s why I’m of the belief that expat life is simply the best of both worlds.
Though I’ve written before about the downfalls of being an expat, I do recognize that this lifestyle allows you to have your cake and eat it too. With your home-base located in the country of your choice, life in a new country and culture can have the same exciting benefits as a life of continuous travel, and then some.
A road to somewhere.
Expat Lifestyle Advantages:
- Once you wade through visas and red-tape, you get to call a new place in the world home for as long as your heart desires. If it doesn’t work, there’s always your real home sweet home waiting for you.
- Traveling in your new homeland is always an option, and exploring the surrounding countries are too!
- There’s time to settle in, learn the language and connect with locals.
- You’ll learn and celebrate new traditions, while teaching yours to others.
- No place to call home.
- Uncomfortable and frequent bus rides, plane rides, etc.
- Packing, unpacking, re-packing. Repeat often.
- No time to connect with the locals.
- Constantly applying for visas, dealing with border policies and restrictions (here’s to you, Schengen Union!)
Which lifestyle do you prefer? Continuous long-term traveler, or that of an expatriate?